Monday, August 25, 2008

Kindergarten Orientation

It was Kindergarten orientation today. I have a million and one things to do, but didn't want to forget the feelings from today, so thought I'd post while they were fresh.

We dropped Holden off at his school this morning, and I turned and asked my husband it we could leave Leila there also (this is where she has gone to school for the past 2 years). Something about change, or growing up, or familiarity got the best of me this morning.

Leila was so excited to be going to elementary school. It took her a long time to adjust to pre-school, so I guess I assumed that this change would be difficult also, so far so good. :) Rewinding to Friday we met her teacher and of course Leila fell in love immediately and said she was the nicest teacher ever!

When we entered the school, it couldn't have been better; everyone clapped and cheered and made the kids and families feel very welcome. After an assembly where we met all the teachers, the parents were then taken to the children's room to go over all kinds of info. My brain is on overload.

I came away from today really feeling like Leila is in GREAT hands. Her teacher seems to really, genuinely care for her students and what she does. I can't ask for more than that. There is nothing better than when you can look through someone's eyes and see their heart.

Although Leila went to school 5 days last year for pre-school, my heart still aches for this "new beginning." It makes me think back when I dropped her off for her first mother's day out, I couldn't get to my car quick enough as the tears began to flow. (that one day per week was optional) :)

We grow up as parents too. Each time there is a "new beginning" it's not so much about the event, it's about having to let go a little bit more each time. I'll tell you what, this letting go is for the birds. :)

I'm anxious yet excited for Leila on her new journey in Kindgarten!

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Wow...I am so not looking forward to this. No way I'm not letting Reese grow up:) Sounds like you guys had fun!

Bethany said...

The fun is only beginning and the memories you are going to share on fieldtrips and more will replace the sadness. What a fun adventure. I am not looking forward to NK's big day either. I know I will be in a ton of conferences.

Lindsay said...

OMG, I cant believe your little girl is in kindergarten!
Wow, how time flies!

Give her some BIG kisses from me!

Kristi said...

Wow, she's growing up! That's so reassuring, though, that she has a caring teacher. Hope she has a fun school year!!!