Friday, October 23, 2009

Who do you believe??

The saga continues...Called the lactation consultant yesterday to get some helpful hints and felt like I got lectured for not calling my pediatrician first before taking the medications the doctor gave me. She had some good points, which I will remember for future use, but geez she almost gave me a nervous breakdown over the phone.:) Called the pedi and they said I could actually have been breastfeeding this whole time. So...who do you believe??

Internal medicine doctor - Formula only for 5 days and then wait 24 hours before you breastfeed after last dose of medication

Lactation consultant-said consult your pediatrician every time...they have the last word over ANY doctor about what your baby can and can't have

Pharmacist-Wait 48 hours after your last dose before you start to breastfeed

Pediatrician-Drugs are L2 and L3 which are actually safe when breastfeeding. If your concerned feed 2-5 hours after taking antibiotic to get the lowest amount of medication in the breast milk.

Sister in law- pharmacist- Doesn't recommend breast feeding while taking this particular antibiotic. Scrap the last day of the antibiotic and begin breastfeeding 24 hours after last dose. (I'm certainly not making any recommendations here, but she said with this particular antibiotic course of treatment has no rhyme or reason to the number of days it's prescribed so dropping a day in my situation is not a big deal) interesting...

That's lots of info...How many times can I type out the word breast???LOL

This gives new meaning to managing your own health!!!!!!


6 comments:

Ladybug said...

Believe Dr. Tom Hale and either an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) or a La Leche League leader! You want to make sure a so-called "Lactation Consultant" is truly international board-certified...there are lots of self-proclaimed lactation consultants that aren't certified and hand out bad information.

Excellent resource here - you can browse for whatever medication you're questioning.

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest

Victoria said...

excellent info! thanks!

Becky said...

Hey remember I had MAJOR issues with mastitis and had to take TONS of antibiotics and then anti-fungals to kill the thrush caused but all the antibitoics..it was a MESS! Anyhow I nursed throughout all that..and Reese is a happy healthy chunky monkey:) Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Rachel said...

Ditto Joana's comment about Dr. Hale's resources. Kellymom.com sites his information. So sorry you've had to go through this.
:(

Becca said...

Glad I read everyone's comments on this post. Good info for the future. V- hope it all gets better soon!

Kristi said...

How awful! And yet, no two people had the same recommendation. I've always told moms to check with the pharmacist and pediatrician. I would have thought the pharmacist had the best access to information, even if they didn't know it offhand. The whole situation stinks. I hope you're feeling better and back to nursing. :)